Pure vegetable glycerin has wonderful cleansing, moisturizing, emollient, soothing and lubricating properties. It acts as a humectant, attracting water to the skin to restore suppleness. Glycerin kills all bacteria by instantly drawing the water out of them. Glycerin is naturally low in toxins and rarely produces an allergic reaction, therefore very good to use on children’s skin.
Caution: If glycerin is used by itself in dry climates it will attract moisture from your skin and hair instead of from the air. This can result in dry skin and brittle hair. Mix glycerin with water, lotion or jojoba oil to this.
- Topical application of pure glycerin: any skin disturbance, including burns, psoriasis, bug bites, and calluses.
- To make a simple natural moisturizer: add a few drops of glycerin to some water (my favourite proportion is 1 part of glycerin to 3 parts of water). Mix well, in your palm or in a bowl, and apply to your skin.
|Homemade glycerin mask for a dry and dehydrated skin:
Mix well. Apply to clean face for 20 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water.
- Glycerin keeps hair hydrated by drawing moisture from the air to the hair shaft.
|Homemade hydrating glycerin hair spray recipe:
- Essential oils for dry hair: sandalwood, ylang ylang, lavender essential oils
Mix the ingredients in a spray bottle, shake well. Spritz on hair after showering.
- Glycerin can be added to plain liquid soap to increase its soothing properties (1 part of glycerin to 20 parts of liquid soap).
- Since glycerin has natural grease cutting properties, it is a perfect natural ingredient for a gentle make up remover.
|Homemade glycerin make up remover recipe:
Mix the ingredients well. Shake before every use, as the ingredients tend to separate. Apply with cotton ball, gently wiping in a circular motion around the eye. Keep your make up remover in a fridge for about a week.
- Glycerin adds soothing properties to shaving creams.
|Homemade glycerin shaving cream recipe:
- Essential oils for normal skin: german chamomile, lemon, geranium, fennel, lavender, jasmine, rose, neroli, frankincenseroses
Mix the ingredients in a blender until the mixture becomes creamy. Store the cream in a large shaving mug, apply with a shaving brush.
- Glycerin is indespensable for those who prefer nontoxic homemade toothpastes.
|Homemade glycerin toothpaste recipe:
Mix the ingredients well. Store in a old toothpaste dispenser by cutting the end off and filling with your toothpaste. Seal the end with masking tape until it is ready for a re-fill.