Originally, castile soap was an olive oil based soap made in the Castile region of Spain. Today, “castile” refers to any soap that is made from vegetable oil rather than animal fat and synthetic substances. Liquid castile soap is natural, biodegradable, and versatile product with numerous effective applications. I know 12 great uses for castile soap, are there any I missed? I would love to hear your ideas!
1. Hand soap and everyday body-washing. Get wet and pour 2-3 drops of soap onto hands or washcloth. Lather up, scrub down, rinse off, and tingle fresh and clean.
Castile soap shampoo recipe 1:
- 1/4 cup liquid castile soap
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/2 tsp olive, grapeseed or jojoba oil
- ~5 drops essential oil of your choice
Dissolve the soap in the hot water. Stir in the oils. Enjoy your new natural shampoo.
Castile soap shampoo recipe 2:
Whip until smooth. Use immediately and put any leftovers into the refrigerator and use the next day or two.
3. Baby bath
Pour 1/4 cup of liquid castile soap in running water for a natural, gentle, and safe baby bath. As with any baby wash, be sure to keep it out of baby eyes.
4. Bubble bath
Luxurious castile soap bubble bath recipe:
- 1/2 – 1 cup liquid castile soap
- 5-8 drops essential oil of your choice
- 2 ounces of coconut oil
Pour the bubble bath mix into the running bath water. Relax!
6. Pet shampoo
Use 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup for one regular load. Adding a dash of baking soda makes it even better.
8. Household cleaner
1 part castille soap to 40 parts water for light cleaning, 1 part castille soap to 10 parts water for heavy duty cleaning.
- 1/2 cup liquid castile soap
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
Blend all ingredients together. Store in a squirt top bottle. Use 2 tablespoons per load of dishes, shake well before use.
10. Veggie/fruit wash
11. Toothpaste. I’ve heard that pure liquid castile soap can be used for brushing your teeth! Has anyone tried this?
12. Backpacking. Because castile soap is so versatile and biodegradable you can take one small bottle with you and use it for everything without fouling up the environment.